With some versions and distributions of Tiberian Sun, when starting the game you might encounter the Tiberian Sun DLL files missing or damaged popup error AKA:
One or more DLL files were missing or damaged. Please reinstall.
There are a few general steps that you should follow in order to get around this error in most cases:
- Make sure you have the TFD freeware version installed. The freeware First Decade version of Tiberian Sun comes fully patched and includes both Tiberian Sun and Firestorm, and is the most common and well supported version of the game out there. It is also bundled with a few patch files that set you up for online play so there’s no reason you shouldn’t be using it at your main installation of the game. You can get the First Decade version from one of the links here.
- Make sure the game is installed in the right directory. The First Decade version of Tiberian Sun expects to be downloaded in C:\Program Files\. Your full game path MUST be as follows:
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer(tm) Tiberian Sun(tm)\SUNIf you don’t have the game installed in this directory the included shortcuts and registry patch will not work. You can simply move your extracted EA Games folder to C:\Program Files\ if it isn’t there already.
- Run tibsun_regadd.reg. The file is located in C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade. This will add the game to your registry thus mimicking a proper install. If this file fails to run you don’t have the game installed in the correct directory.
- Run as administrator with Windows 98 compatibility and reduced 16bit color mode. Right click on your Game.exe located in the SUN directory and select properties. Select the compatibility tab check off the following options:
- Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 98 / Windows Me compatibility
- Reduced color mode: 16-bit (65536) color
- Run this program as administrator
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having issues with the Tiberian Sun DLL files missing or damaged error, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!