Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is an action game set in the Battletech universe. It was the last official Mechwarrior release until the release of Mechwarrior Online.
Take the role of Spectre, a male mercenary BattleMech pilot travelling inside the fictional interstellar region of the Battletech universe called the Inner Sphere during the FedCom Civil War. Earn cash and useful salvage from completing mission contracts for various factions. With these resources, purchase new weapons and BattleMechs, pay for ‘Mech repairs, and hire additional MechWarriors for his or her company.
Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries has been released as freeware, and is a great game for both single player and multiplayer (especially LAN). You can download it from one of the following links:
+ Download link 1 <– download via the MTX client –> MTX looks like its no longer officially supported/maintained by MekTek
+ Download link 2 <– download full release (MTX) files via Fileplanet
+ Download link 3 <– download full release (MTX) files (v. 0.17) via Atomic Gamer
+ Download link 4 <– download full release via myabondonware
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having issues setting up the Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries freeware download, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!
To play Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries in windowed mode you have a few options:
- Start the game. Once it’s loaded simply press:
To revert back to full screen press alt+enter again. This combination works for a wide variety of games especially those before 2001.
If you’re running MekTek v.30 of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries you might run into the following exception:
Nested exception! - Cause: 'GetLocationFromAddress' Error :- "Attempt to read from address 0x00000094" at 0x6faf3a
There’s a work around to the GetLocationFromAddress error:
- Right click on your MW4Mercs shortcut and select properties.
- In the target field add the following options after the location of the .exe file add a space and then:
E.g: “C:\Program Files\Mechwarrior Mercenaries – Mektek Mekpak\MMercs.exe” /gosnovideo
Your main menu might look a little strange but other than that the game should look normal and work fine.
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having issues with the Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries GetLocationFromAddress Error, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!
sources: link 1, link 2
Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is a great LAN game and a great multiplayer game in general. To play online with others often one of the easiest ways to do so is to use Hamachi. First make sure you all have the same version of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, the follow these steps:
- Install Hamachi and join a network with your friend(s). Follow the steps on the Hamachi setup page, on how to install Hamachi and create and join networks.
- Create a Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries connection. All players should now start Hamachi then Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. From the main menu go to “Multiplayer” and then “Create a new connection“. First select “yes, I am on a Lan or a dial-up connection” then press next. Now select connection type “LAN” and connection speed “10000 (10MB LAN)“. Finally for “How would you like to browse for games?” select “Local Area Network (LAN)“. The host can now create a game, and the other players should select connect on the bottom right, and should see the hosts game.
If you’re having trouble connecting you have a few options:
- Try switching hosts. Not all computer/networks have the same firewall settings. One of you may have enough permissions to act as the host for others.
- Manually enter your friend’s Hamachi IP into your connection. Go back to the Multiplayer page, select your newly created connection and pressing edit. Now skip to the last page which asks “How would you like to browse for games” and select “Server Name or IP Address” as well as “Local Area Network(LAN)” and in the box that appears enter the host’s Hamachi IP (not local IP!) e.g. 5.XX.XX.XX.
If you’ve tried all of the steps above, then either your versions of the game do not match or one or more players need to adjust their firewall settings. If you find another solution, or have found a problem with the above instructions please post it in the comments below!