There are a few issues that you can encounter while trying to run Homeworld 2 on Windows 7. One of the most common problems seems to be that the game refuses to start or crashes to desktop after startup. This appears to be caused by Windows 7 preventing the Homeworld 2 English no-cd exe from working (Data Execution Prevention). The most reliable fix seems to be the following:
- Install the Homeworld 2 1.1 patch. If this link doesn’t work try one of the alternate links: alternate 1, alternate 2.
- Install the Homeworld 2 1.1 German no-cd exe. Search for and download the 1.1 German no-cd exe (for legal reasons I’m not hosting the exe here). Replace your original exe located at:
Though it may seem odd, the German no-cd exe works around this issue because it isn’t affected by Data Execution Prevention. It won’t change the in game language to German.
- (ATI USERS ONLY) Install the atioglxx.dll fix. As pointed out by Culex in the comments below, a recent driver update for ATI (14.9) is causing the following issue for it’s users:
Homeworld2.exe caused an Access Violation in module atioglxx.dll
To fix this issue download the patched version of atioglxx.dll linked above and drop into the bin\release folder of your Homeworld 2 install. You can also download the atioglxx.dll fix from us here.
Note - according to a numbers of sources on the web no-cd exes are legal provided they are only for personal use. See the Wikipedia No-CD crack page for more details (or do you own research if you are still skeptical). You can read the legal jargon from the U.S. Copyright Office if you’re interested (and if you’re in the USA).
There a few less common issues with running Homeworld 2 that are covered in these posts:
- Homeworld 2 invisible ships – with recent graphics driver updates for certain video cards some users are experiencing an odd issue where ships will be invisible and you may see oddly broken textures. See this post for more info.
- Homeworld 2 camera and movement lag – with certain video cards rotating the camera and zooming into your ships will cause extreme FPS drops. See this post for a workaround.
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having issues running Homeworld 2 on Windows 7, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!