Age of Mythology is known to have fog of war and water texture issues on computers with unsupported video cards, especially Intel integrated graphics chips. The reason for this issue is that Age of Mythology defaults to very poor graphical presets if it can’t identify your video card. Symptoms for this graphical glitch include:
- Access to only a few low quality resolutions.
- Pixelated water that isn’t transparent. The effect can be seen in the image below. Rather than seeing the sea bed the water is a completely opaque blue.
- Fog of war that displays in large black squares. These squares don’t properly show your ‘true’ view range and look similar to the ones in the image below.
To fix this fog of war/water glitch follow the steps below:
- Copy the contents of geforce3.gfx. Your geforce3.gfx file is located in:
gfxconfig2\geforce3.gfx (titans only)
Open one of these files in a text editor and copy it’s entire contents. You should be able to open these files with any text editor (notepad++ for example).
- Overwrite the contents of all i845.gfx files with those of geforce3.gfx. The i845.gfx file is located in:
gfxconfig2\i845.gfx (titans only)
Open i845.gfx in a text editor and overwrite all of the content with the configurations you copied from geforce3.gfx. Make sure to overwrite both copies of the file if you have Titans. Don’t change any file names. If you don’t have Titans installed you won’t have a gfxconfig2 folder so don’t worry about it.
- Disable anistropy. User Piet reported that the problem did not resolve for him until he disabled anisotropy in his modified i845.gfx file. To disable anisotropy change this line:
anisotropy=1 // DWORD. hardcodes anisotropy on (or off), regardless of what driver saysto:
anisotropy=0 // DWORD. hardcodes anisotropy on (or off), regardless of what driver says
What’s happening here is that Age of Mythology doesn’t recognize your video card so defaults to the worst possible supported configuration – i845. By overwriting the contents of the i845.gfx configuration with those for the geforce3 chipset you’re tricking Age of Mythology into using the highest possible settings by default instead.
If the above steps don’t work there is a chance that you may have one of the other supported graphics card but still with very few available configurations (AKA the game won’t default to your modified i845.gfx configuration). Just like how you overwrote the default i845 gfx configuration you can use the geforce3.gfx file to overwrite your video card’s configuration file in the gfxconfig and gfxconfig2 folders. If you don’t know which file to change, you’ll have to change all the .gfx files in these folders except the ones that start with 0x (i.e. 0x3d3d_3dlabs.gfx).
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having issues with the Age of Mythology square fog of war and water glitch, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!