Mechcommander Gold can still be run on more recent Windows operating systems but depending on which version you have the solutions are different:
- 32 bit – If you have trouble going through the initial setup, right click on your cd/iso and select explore. Then set the:
files to Windows XP compatibility mode by right clicking each, selecting properties, and going to the compatibility tab and selecting XP from the dropdown box (service pack doesn’t matter). After you have done this, restart the installation and try again.
- 64 bit – 64 bit Windows does not support 16 bit installers such as the one for Mechcommander gold. There is a workaround though – create a directory named MCG (name is unimportant) and then copy the entire contents of the disc/iso into this folder and start the MCX.EXE.
Odd/Corrupted colours or textures - When you start the game the colours may display incorrectly, which will cause your game menu to look something like this:
To fix the colour/texture issue you can either put the game into windowed mode and then back to fullscreen using alt + enter or follow these steps if you want a more permanent solution:
- Create a shortcut to MCX.exe
- Right click on the shortcut and select properties
- Under the compatibility tab select “Disable desktop composition” and click apply (the issue is caused by having a Windows Aero theme active)
- Start the game from the shortcut
*NOTE* If you can’t get around it don’t worry, this colour/texture issue only appears to be a problem in the game menu and the colours go back to normal once you start a mission.