When trying to run Industry Giant 2 on Windows 7 the main issue you’re likely to run into is with unsupported graphics cards rather than the issues with the OS itself. Industry Giant 2 seems to have the most trouble with newer Geforce cards (Geforce 6xxx series and later). Having an unsupported graphics card can cause random crashes as well as invisible game objects. To fix these issues follow the steps below:
- Install the IG2 addon version 2.1 patch OR disable popups and videos.
Download link 1 <– fileplanet
Download link 2 <– gamershell
Download link 3 <– softpedia
This patch will only install on 32 bit machines! If you are running 64 bit Windows as mentioned by Krellebobz you’ll have to disable popups and videos instead. To do this start the game, start a mission and from the options menu uncheck News Automatically Popup and Videos.
- Install the video card fix. Go to http://forum.jowood.de/showthread.php?t=167118 (web archive of post) and download the appropriate fix. Too2 posted the fix for the Gold edition and the addon and Stach posted the version for the original game. Once you have downloaded the patch, install it in your main Industry Giant Directory e.g. C:\Program Files\Industry Giant 2.
Local mirror <– IG2 Gold NVidia patch (not sure if it’ll work with the main game)
- Delete the following files OR run Installer.bat (if you have it):
If add-on or gold edition are installed:
- Run as administrator and with Windows 98 compatibility. Right click on your Industry Giant 2 shortcut, select properties. Select the compatibility tab and run the program under Windows 98 compatibility and select Run this program as administrator (if you are on Windows 7 or Vista).
- (Optional) Change language to English. If, like me, you don’t speak any German you’ll want to switch your language back to English as the video card fix will likely have changed your game language to German. See changing Industry Giant 2 language.
If you’ve come this far and you’re still having issues check the list below to see if any of them match the ones you’re experiencing:
- menu icons are invisible – you have likely only installed the 2.1 patch. You need the video card fix at least in order to see the menu properly.
- trees won’t appear – you have likely installed the 2.1 patch and the video card fix but haven’t removed all of the listed files (see #3 above).
- buildings don’t appear – you have likely installed the patches and removed the appropriate files but haven’t set your game to run in Windows 98 compatibility or checked off Run this program as administrator. Trying to build a building will lead to a crash to desktop until you have done these two things.
- crash when furry pets are invented – if your game crashes at the start of 1902 you have the furry pet crash. This is most likely caused because you haven’t installed the 2.1 patch. If you’re using a 64 bit version of Windows you won’t be able to install the patch but you can get around the crash by disabling popups and videos from the in-game options (see #1 above).
If you have any issues with running Industry Giant 2 on Windows 7 that aren’t covered here, or if you’re still having trouble running the game after following the above steps, please post your issues below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!
For those of you that love economic simulation games like IG2 and/or need something similar to play while you wait for a solution check out the amazing OpenTTD project.