When running Homeworld Cataclysm on Windows 7 the main issue is usually not with the OS but with newer video cards. Users with unsupported video cards may experience the following error right after the intro cinematics:
"Cataclysm.exe has stopped working"
To get around this follow the steps below. Advance warning: some users have reported that the game still crashes after following these steps on non-US versions of the game (e.g. UK). If you find that this is the case, please contact me or hunt down an US version of the game and use that instead.
- Install the Homeworld Cataclysm 1.01 patch (most important part). Make sure you install the patch specific to the region where you bought the game. Keep in mind after patching you will not be able to load saves made before the patch! See the Homeworld Cataclysm 1.01 patch installation crash post if you have any trouble installing the patch.
Download link 1 <– Assam Kiiith’sid Storehouse (All regions)
Download link 2 <– Shacknews (US version)
Download link 3 <– Softpedia (US version)
- (Optional) Install the latest video card drivers. In most cases this won’t be necessary, but it’s always good to have the latest stable release of your video card drivers. See your video card manufacturer’s website (e.g. nvidia) for more info on how to download the drivers.
- (Optional) Run as administrator and with Windows NT compatibility. While still in the shortcut properties select the compatibility tab and run the program under Windows NT compatibility and select Run this program as administrator.
Note – Setting the game to run in compatibility mode, works for many, but some users on Windows Vista have reported that this step actually prevents the game from running, so be sure to try both with and without these settings.
If you’ve followed the above steps and you’re still experiencing crashes there are a few more things you can try:
- Disable intro cinematics. Sometimes the intro cinematics themselves can cause your startup crashes. To disable them, right click on the Homeworld Cataclysm shortcut on your desktop and select properties. In the target field add a space and then the following command line option:
e.g. C:\Program Files\Sierra\Cataclysm\cataclysm.exe /disableAVI
- Enable safeGL. Right click on the Homeworld Cataclysm shortcut and select properties. In the target field add a space and then the following command line option:
You can add multiple command line options to the target field by seperating them with a space e.g. C:\Program Files\Sierra\Cataclysm\cataclysm.exe /disableAVI /safeGL
- Change your rGL device. In the same way you add the /safeGL option above you can set which device is used for rGL.
In place of <dev> enter try each of the following (one at a time) of : sw, fx or d3d
- Reset your rendering system to default. It is possible that your issue was caused by changing your rendering system configurations. If you’ve tried everything else above without success add the /sw command line option the same way you added the /safeGL option to reset your rendering system to default.
You can also take a look at the full list of Homeworld Cataclysm command line options. Perhaps one of these holds the key to fixing your crash.
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having issues running Homeworld Cataclysm on Windows 7, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!