If you experience Homeworld 2 camera and movement lag/choppiness when you zoom in on ships or asteroids, you most likely have one of the following: an out of date video card driver, a cracked exe, or an integrated graphics card. There are a few solutions that have been known to work, that I’ve posted below. Let me know which one works for you!
- Enable Vsync. In the game options enable Vsync. This is one of the most common fixes.
- Turn detail geometry off, and set hyperspace quality to low. Visually, the difference is minimal and on some machines (especially integrated graphics) this will get rid of the lag completely
- Enable wait for vertical refresh. In your video card settings enable wait for vertical refresh.
- Update your video drivers. Outdated video drivers might be incompatible with the game and could be causing the lag/choppiness.
- Force Homeworld 2 to use your GPU instead of integrated graphics. On some newer machines; laptops especially, you may have to manually set the game to run using your NVidia GPU (if you have one) instead of the integrated graphics card. To do this follow the steps in this stackexchange post.
- Re-install. If you’re using a cracked exe file it might be the cause of your problems. These files are user generated and offer no guarantee of quality. Try re-installing and running the game from the CD again.
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having Homeworld 2 camera and movement lag issues, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!