The vanilla version of Haegemonia has a few issues especially on newer operating systems (Windows Vista/7). The most common problems are the saving/loading bugs and the sound system crashes. These issues can be solved by following these steps:
- Install the Haegemonia version 1.07 patch.
Download link 1 <– fileplanet
Download link 2 <– cnet
Download link 3 <– strategy informer
Among other things, this patch will fix many of the bugs from the vanilla version of the game including notably saving/loading bugs. You can see the full list of patch notes here, or here.
- Install the invisible ships and planets fix (aka patch 1.10). Even with the latest patch for the game, you’ll still likely have issues with invisible ships and planets. To fix this download the compiled version of the starfield.mat file below and replace your starfield.mat file located in Hegemonia\Shaders\Materials with it.
Starfield fix <– local mirror
Starfield fix <– game front
For more information on this issue see the Haegemonia invisible ships and planets post.
- Run as administrator with Windows XP compatibility and Disable visual themes. This is what I’m using as my workaround for the “sound system error” and have yet to experience the crash. Right click on your Haegemonia shortcut, select properties and then select the compatibility tab. Here, check off the following options:
- Run the program under Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility
- Run this program as administrator (if you are on Windows 7 or Vista)
- Disable visual themes
I haven’t yet had a sound system crash after selecting these options. If you’re still experiencing this error or want to know more about the issue see the Haegemonia sound system error post.
If you’ve reached this point and are still having trouble running the game on Windows Vista/7 please post your issue in the comments below. The more detail the better (error messages, systems specs etc.)