You can change your game text language in Age of Mythology to any of the supported languages for which you can find language .DLL files for (English/German/French/Russian etc.). To install a different language game text all you need to do is replace the following files in your root Age of Mythology installation directory with the ones provided in the text language packs below:
xpacklanguage.dll (if Titans is installed)
+ English text language pack → download | local mirror
+ Russian text language pack → download | local mirror
+ German text language pack → download | local mirror
Language files for the game taunts seem to be much harder to find. To change your game taunt language you need to completely replace the following directories (located in you Age of Mythology installation directory) with the ones in the taunt packs:
sound\xtaunts (if Titans is installed)
+ German taunts language pack → download | local mirror
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having with the Age of Mythology change language issue, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!
Tested: mandriva 2008.1
, ubuntu 10.10
It is possible to play Age of Mythology on Linux with certain distributions. So far, I have been unable to properly install Age of Mythology by mounting the ISO, but instead had to copy my game folder from a Windows machine to your Linux box. Once you have done this follow these steps:
- Install the latest version of wine – This can be done several ways. The most effective way is through your Ubuntu Software Center (Ubuntu), or Install & Remove Software window (KDE). Simply start up your corresponding installation tool search for wine, and install.
- Start the game – Navigate to your Age of Mythology directory and run aom.exe (make sure to set this file as executable by right clicking on it -> properties -> compatibility tab).
In certain cases you may get the following error when starting the game:
Error: Unable to find splash resources
In this case you have a few additional options:
- Open terminal and navigate to your Age of Mythology directory and enter:
- If the game still refuses to start, bring out the big guns add try using the following command (all one line):
wine aom.exe xres=1024 +noSound +noIntroCinematics bpp=16 +window +lowend +terrainHalfDensity +lowPoly -waterbump skipMipMapLevels=1 graphicDetail=2
The game may also put you in never-ending cinematics. Usually these can be escaped out of, but sometimes they may lock your game. In this case your only option is to restart the mission and use the:
cheat. To enter a cheat simply type it in the chat prompt to skip to the next mission. For more info see: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2711
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having issues running Age of Mythology on Linux, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!
Note – This trick DOES NOT work for Age of Mythology Titans (if you have a solution please post). Age of Mythology automatically uses your local ip (e.g. 192.168.*.*) even with hamachi on. To get around this you’ll have to go through a few steps:
- Install Hamachi.
- Disconnect your ethernet cable. The goal here is to fool AOM into thinking hamachi is the primary network. You can also Control Panel/Network and Internet/ Network Connections (Windows 7) and disable your Local Area Network Connection from there.
- Start up Age of Mythology
- Reconnect your ethernet cable. If you disabled your connection through the Network Connections manager, re-enable there. After the game has started it will not change it’s recognition of your priority network.
- Under the LAN/Direct IP menu host a game. At the top of your screen, it should now display your hamachi ip e.g. 5.X.X.X and provided that all those trying to join have followed the same step and have the exact same version of the aom.exe you should be able to play over hamachi.
If you’ve followed the above steps and are still having issues running Age of Mythology over hamachi, please post in the comments below. To increase your chances of a solution being found include as much detail as possible (which version of the game you’re running, what operating system you have, what video card you have and steps to reproduce the issue). Screenshots are also very useful!
sources: link 1, link 2
Age of Mythology is known to have fog of war and water texture issues on computers with unsupported video cards, especially Intel integrated graphics chips. The reason for this issue is that Age of Mythology defaults to very poor graphical presets if it can’t identify your video card. Symptoms for this graphical glitch include:
- Access to only a few low quality resolutions.
- Pixelated water that isn’t transparent. The effect can be seen in the image below. Rather than seeing the sea bed the water is a completely opaque blue.
- Fog of war that displays in large black squares. These squares don’t properly show your ‘true’ view range and look similar to the ones in the image below.
To fix this fog of war/water glitch follow the steps below:
- Copy the contents of geforce3.gfx. Your geforce3.gfx file is located in:
gfxconfig2\geforce3.gfx (titans only)
Open one of these files in a text editor and copy it’s entire contents. You should be able to open these files with any text editor (notepad++ for example).
- Overwrite the contents of all i845.gfx files with those of geforce3.gfx. The i845.gfx file is located in:
gfxconfig2\i845.gfx (titans only)
Open i845.gfx in a text editor and overwrite all of the content with the configurations you copied from geforce3.gfx. Make sure to overwrite both copies of the file if you have Titans. Don’t change any file names. If you don’t have Titans installed you won’t have a gfxconfig2 folder so don’t worry about it.
- Disable anistropy. User Piet reported that the problem did not resolve for him until he disabled anisotropy in his modified i845.gfx file. To disable anisotropy change this line:
anisotropy=1 // DWORD. hardcodes anisotropy on (or off), regardless of what driver saysto:
anisotropy=0 // DWORD. hardcodes anisotropy on (or off), regardless of what driver says
Read more ›