Age of Mythology requires MSXML 4.0 to run properly. If you don’t have it installed you will encounter the following error when trying to start the game:
"MSXML 4.0 is not installed correctly. It is required to run the game."
MSXML 4.0 is a set of services that allow applications written in JScript, VBScript, and Microsoft development tools to build Windows-native XML-based applications. To fix this error you simply need to to download and install MSXML 4.0 from the Microsoft website:
- Download msxml.msi. Go to this Microsoft support page: http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=15697, click Download and download msxml.msi
- Run msxml.msi with Windows XP Service pack 2 compatibility. Right click on your msxml.msi and select properties. Select the compatibility tab and run the program under Windows XP (Service pack 2) compatibility. Once this is done double click on msxml.msi to install MSXML 4.0.
- Restart your computer. Restart the computer when you are prompted and try starting the game again.
IF AND ONLY IF after installing msxml.msi and restarting your computer you still experience this error there’s an alternate solution you can try:
- Download msxmlcab.exe. Go to this Microsoft support page: http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=15697, click Download and download msxmlcab.exe
- Run msxmlcab.exe. When the download is complete double-click msxmlcab.exe. When you are prompted, select the desktop as the location for the extracted file. Then, click OK.
- Extract Msmxml 4 into your System 32. On the desktop, right-click the msxml4.cab file, and then extract the new files to the desktop. Copy the files that are extracted in step 3 to the following folders:
Note – Only 64bit Windows users will have the SysWOW64 folder.
Note – In this path, <drive> represents the drive on which the operating system is installed.
- (Optional) Register the MSXML 4 dll. Click Start , and then click Run. In the Run box, type:
and then click OK. If everything worked, you should receive the following message:
DllRegisterServer in msxml4.dll succeeded.
Note – this will likely NOT work on 64bit Windows, but also may not be necessary.
- Restart the computer and try starting the game again.
For a full list of instructions you can check out the official Microsoft post on this error here. If you have any trouble installing MSXML 4.0 or are still experiencing this error, please post as much information as possible, including what you’ve tried already and what operating system you currently have installed.