Welcome to The Game Engine! To get started head to our game directory. This site hosts a wide variety of information valuable to all gamers especially those that have spent tireless hours struggling to coerce buggy or outdated games to run.
+ General Bug/Crash workarounds and fixes
+ OS Compatibility Issues
+ Freeware download links
+ Modding guides
Help us help you!
Our goal is to provide a user friendly resource focused on getting these old games working modern operating systems. This is a very large and complex goal even for the few games that we support and as such we need your help! Feel free to ask questions via the submit a question
form, and comment on your experiences/issues on relevant posts whenever possible so we can improve our resources.
Tools and extras
- Text editors
- Pspad. Multipurpose text editor
- Notepad++. Another multipurpose text editor
- Dev tools
- Xenu. An excellent link checker for web devs.
- 7zip. Unzipping utility
- CamStudio. Free recording software
- CamStudio Codec. A codec that greatly improves the performance of camstudio. With Mechcommander Gold this meant the difference between ~20 fps and ~110 fps, though this will depend on your machine.
- wine. Running windows application from linux
- Hamachi. Client for setting up virtual networks