Welcome to The Game Engine! To get started head to our game directory. This site hosts a wide variety of information valuable to all gamers especially those that have spent tireless hours struggling to coerce buggy or outdated games to run. Some of the main topics included in the site are:
- General Bug/Crash workarounds and fixes
- OS Compatibility Issues
- Tutorials on online play via tunneling clients (Hamachi)
- Locations of game specific data files (saves/configurations/etc.)
Help us help you!
Our goal is to provide a user friendly resource focused on getting these old games working modern operating systems. This is a very large and complex goal even for the few games that we support and as such we need your help! Feel free to ask questions via the submit a question
form, and comment on your experiences/issues on relevant posts whenever possible so we can improve our resources.
Tools and extras
- Text editors
- Pspad. Multipurpose text editor
- Notepad++. Another multipurpose text editor
- Dev tools
- Xenu. An excellent link checker for web devs.
- 7zip. Unzipping utility
- CamStudio. Free recording software
- CamStudio Codec. A codec that greatly improves the performance of camstudio. With Mechcommander Gold this meant the difference between ~20 fps and ~110 fps, though this will depend on your machine.
- wine. Running windows application from linux
- Hamachi. Client for setting up virtual networks